A new way to recruit for (and find) startup jobs

In my work, I come across a lot of great startups. A common question I get asked is "do you know someone amazing that we can hire?" Similarly, I get pinged by many colleagues, friends, and fans who are looking to find a job with a startup. I do my best to play matchmaker, but as those of you who have ever tried to fill a job in a startup know, the most important and elusive quality for a startup hire is fit. Unfortunately, as any good recruiter will tell you, this is not an easy thing to assess as an outsider.

So I used to wind up spending a lot of fruitless hours trying to play matchmaker, and generally having a hard time. Part of the problem is that I couldn't post a public link. Most of the jobs I come across are not listed in any directory, and most of the candidates are not officially looking - many don't even have a resume. Great startups are always hiring, if the fit is right. They may not have an open req for a specific job, but if the right amazing person walks in the door, they will always find something productive for them to do.

To solve this problem, I asked a friend to collaborate with me in building a new tool. It's incredibly simple, and it's called joblink.tw. Think of it as a bit.ly for jobs. Using it to recruit takes less than a minute.

joblink.tw lets you post a description of a job without having to reveal the name of the company who is offering it, or the contact information of the hiring manager. Who wants that stuff posted on the internet? Instead, each joblink has a form that allows anyone who's interested to contact the poster. The actual exchange of information occurs in private, in email.

The same process works for job candidates. Know someone who'd make a great engineer at a startup? Just write a few words about them, set their email address as the private recipient, and tweet about it. They can turn off these contacts at any time.

To see a list of the jobs that I've posted on joblink.tw so far, take a look at my joblink profile. joblink.tw also supports oauth, so you can log in with your twitter credentials. If you do, you can have your joblinks broadcast on the joblinktw twitter account. For updates about joblink.tw or to see joblinks that others have posted, follow on twitter.

So far, this tool has saved me countless hours, and made quite a few interesting connections. That means it's accomplished all of my goals for it. If anyone else finds it useful, too, that will prove a huge plus. And if anyone has feedback, please feel free to use our integrated uservoice forum or just post a comment on this post. I'd be happy to make it better (regular readers will recognize joblink as a minimum viable product).
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

welcome to my blog. please write some comment about this article ^_^