Loud Reminders

Early this morning, I was in the kitchen getting ready for the day. To be precise, I was standing in front of the refrigerator (don't worry, dad--door was closed) trying to remember what I went over to it for in the first place.

I was distracted first by the sound of screeching tires and then almost immediately the impact of metal on metal. No horn warning.

I ran outside, looked to the dark street and saw a garbage truck's flashing lights. Then I noticed the car that had plowed into the back of it. When I got closer, I saw an unharmed but clearly shaken woman emerge from the car. The garbage collectors and she huddled on a neighbors front porch.

She said she just "wasn't paying attention." Too distracted by something other than what was immediately in front of her (in this case, a garbage truck).

Fortunately, everyone was okay. But it was a screeching reminder that we're at the start of a season when to-do lists and haven't-done lists are huge distractions--at the risk of creating a permanent will-never-do list (for ourself or for someone else). So I'm going to work really hard on staying in the moment every moment, but especially when I'm behind the wheel of my car.

Be Safe!

Splurge-away

Today I'm blowing off some work and a little bit of Thanksgiving preparation to meet a friend and her baby at the park for a run, then, hopefully, a peppermint mocha afterwards.

0 comments:

welcome to my blog. please write some comment about this article ^_^