Song: If the Savior Stood Beside Me

(For a note on using cartoon pictures of Christ, please visit my explanation here.  As always, if you feel uncomfortable using my drawings and ideas, I suggest that you not use them.  Thanks!)

For this song, I created the art and lyrics separately.  Cut out the lyrics and post them on the board in the correct order.  Then cut out the pictures and hang them in visible spots around the primary room.  As you learn the song, have the children look for the picture that best fits each line.  Cover the words with the picture and see if the children can remember the words. 

(I plan to introduce this song with the activity found here and review with the activity found here.)


"If the Savior stood beside me,"

"Would I do the things I do?"

"Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?"

"Would I follow His example?"

"Would I live more righteously if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?"





"If the Savior stood beside me,"

"Would I say the words I say?"

"Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?"


"Would I try to share the gospel?"

"Would I speak more reverently if I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me?"





"He is always near me, though I cannot see him there."

"And because He loves me dearly,"

"I am in His watchful care."

"So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be,"

"If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me."


When you teach this song, please be sure to explain the symbolism, especially in the third verse.  (The Savior doesn't literally stand in a cloud in your bedroom as you pray- the picture shows that He is interested in what you have to say.  The Savior doesn't literally stand over your bed when you are sick- the picture shows that He is worried about your well-being.)  If you think that this concept will be difficult for your primary to understand, please consider using different clipart.


OPTIONAL:

-Sally DeFord actually wrote SIX verses to this song!  To read the other three beautiful verses and the adorable story of how she wrote the song for her daughter, Holly's baptism, visit her page HERE.

-Sister DeFord is careful to let us know that she didn't write this song to tell her daughter to be more righteous, but because her daughter was already such a wonderful example to her!  Explain to the children that following Christ means both avoiding sin and doing Christlike things.  See if they can spot both in the pictures.  There are two pictures of children making poor choices.  Ask what those two children did to change their behavior and make better decisions?

-On week three or four of this month, you might consider using the song review HERE. 


0 comments:

welcome to my blog. please write some comment about this article ^_^